If you have any questions, feel free to ask on my ask site: http://fyseq.tumblr.com/ask, though check out http://fuckyeahsexeducation.tumblr.com/FAQ!
A Deconstruction of Designated Sex
Phenotypic Sex: secondary, outwardly visible sex characteristics of a person. This includes genitals and breast development. A very wide array of genital shape is possible. This just refers to external genitalia, not internal. Internal reproductive organ shape may not be known until puberty or adulthood when infertility or menstrual issues may become known. Genital formations can include
- micropenis (small “penis”)
- Clitoromegaly (enlarged “clitoris”)
- hypospadias (urethral opening on the underside of the “penis”)
- aphallia (absence of a penis)
- fusion of the labioscrotal folds (gives the appearance of a scrotum)
- phallic urethra (a utrethra through the “clitoris”, much like in a “penis”)
- bifid scrotum (separation of the two halves of the scrotum, that can look like labia)
- Gonadal Dysgenis( underdeveloped gonads)
- Müllerian agenesis (absence of a vagina, uterus, or both)
- ovo-testes (gonads containing both ovarian and testicular tissue)
- Gonadal Agenisis (absence of any type of gonads)
- cryptorchidism ( micropenis and undescended testicles)
Karyotypic Sex: chromosomal configuration of the “sex” genes. This can only be determined through DNA analysis. Differences besides XX and XY include
- XO (Turner syndrome)
- XXX (Triple X syndrome)
- XXY/XXXY (Klinefelter’s syndrome)
- XYY syndrome
- XX male (de la Chapelle syndrome)
- XY female (Swyer syndrome)
- cells with XY and cells with XX (Mosaicism and chimerism
Hormonal Anomalies: These conditions are caused by configurations of hormones that can cause many of the phenotypic sex conditions, infertility, menstrual issues or lack of menstruation, early appearance of body hair or lack of certain body hair, deepening voice or lack of vocal deepening, muscle development or lack of, and other physical symptoms). They can also be caused by certain Karyotypic sex conditions.
- 5-alpha reductase deficiency (hormone deficiency that can cause a wide variety of genital forms including what appears to be a labia and clitoris, ambiguous genitalia, micropenis, or hypospadias)
- Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome/ AIS or Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome/PAIS(inability to process certain hormones causing genital forms including what appears to be a labia nad clitoris as well as internal testes, ambiguous genitalia, or a penis and external testes)
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (lack of an enzyme to make certain hormones causing early signs of puberty, enlarged penis, PCOS, lack of periods, clitoromegaly, fusion of the labioscrotal folds, lack of breast development during puberty)
- Progestin Induced Virilization (Caused by prenatal exposure to exogenous androgens, most commonly progestin, causing genital forms including enlarged clitoris, development of phallis, and fusion of the labia)
- Hypothalamic Hypogonadism/Kallman Syndrome (the hypothalamus produces lower level of sex hormone causing delayed puberty and cryptorchidism)
I have had contact with you a few times under my vaginismus/asexuality blog called vaginismusandsexuality. I am requesting stories from people concerning a subject and since this also ties into your blog subject I was wondering if I could get a signal boost from you.
I am wanting to write an informative blog post about how the asexuality intersects with the medical field, both from physiological and psychological fields, primarily in recommending ‘corrective therapy’ to people who ID as asexual or those who may fall under the spectrum. More details on what I am asking for is in the link. The post will be sharing stories on what other people have experienced and how to defend your asexuality to medical professionals who want to ‘treat’ you.
Since I went under this ‘corrective therapy’ for being asexual while still in denial about it, something I will elaborate on more in the big post, I am struggling to get more submissions from people who have experienced this. I really wish that it is because no one else has experienced this, but I unfortunately know better.
I really hope you help me get the word out on this project of mine; this is really important to me. I don’t want another person to have to go through what I did.If you do post this I request all information concerning this to be sent to my vaginismusandsexuality blog, not my main account.
Is it Safe to Use my Sex Toy When I’m Pregnant?
Pregnancy can be a wonderful but confusing time for your body. So many things are off limits for the health of you and your baby, how do you know what’s OK and not? We get this question all the time and figured it was time to address it for our followers who are expecting.
In fact, it can be very important to use sex toys during pregnancy. Many women have trouble achieving orgasms while they’re…
People have a lot of questions about sex and gender. It can be super confusing and there’s a lot of misinformation out there. I want to look at some words that I get questions about a lot in this contact. I just want to put a general trigger warning as we do talk a little about slurs and what…
Because I got some questions after my “gender is complex” post last night, I decided to bring this back around.