Disclaimer: I am not a professional! If you want to find a professional sex educator please look at my "Resources" page. If you have any questions, feel free to ask on my ask site: FYsexeducationquestions, though check out my FAQ first!
Are young people being given the right information on contraception?
“None of my friends want an implant because they’re scared of getting it cut out,” says Estelle, 18. “I don’t use the pill because a friend of mine did and it messed up her periods. The injection? Just … noooooo! My friend had it, and it was horrible – I hate needles. The coil? That’s just weird.”
Estelle relies on condoms for contraception. Although good for lowering the risk of contracting an STI (sexually transmitted infection), condoms are one of the least reliable contraceptive methods available. She’s been having sex for less than a year – has she ever had a conversations with a health professionals about how to avoid getting pregnant?
“I mainly just talk to my friends about it,” she says. Has she ever thought she might be pregnant? “Yes.”
So does she think condoms are safe? “Yes, because I’ve used them and I haven’t got pregnant” is the response.
Because she’s using condoms, Estelle believes she’s taking care and being responsible. She is, as far as she has the information to be. But health professionals say that young people are routinely let down by the education system, their teachers and wider society when it comes to easy access to good-quality contraceptive advice. It means that myths abound, and teenagers fall back on the limited and highly subjective experience of their peer group.
There are numerous problems facing teenagers when they find themselves needing contraceptive advice, not the least of which, says Hollie Kluczewski, national co-ordinator for Sexpression, is that nobody talks about young people having sex in a positive way.
“It’s all very mechanical. ‘Please pee in a pot for a chlamydia test and here’s a condom,’” she says. “If you always talk about sex as a frightening thing – ‘sex kills’ for instance – then you feel bad about having it, and then you’re not going to access services.”
Sexpression is a nationwide organisation of mostly medical students, supported by consultants in sexual health to offer peer support to young people on any sexual health or relationship-related topic. The students volunteer in schools, community centres and youth groups. Kluczewski says that creating an atmosphere where having sex is seen as normal, healthy and positive does not mean “plugging sex”, but being open and honest about the questions that arise.
Read the rest of this great piece at The Guardian here.
- younghabitats likes this
- whirl-on reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- singyoursight likes this
- camembertlylegal likes this
- romance-in-sequence reblogged this from bodysexgender
- bodysexgender reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- polyverse likes this
- ultraviole-nt reblogged this from macaroni-overlord
- macaroni-overlord reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- dreamsflyfree reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- derp-gabher likes this
- scifigamingmom reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- arcanethought reblogged this from hellyeahscarleteen
- sneilisnollingsworth reblogged this from hellyeahscarleteen
- superawesomelnk reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- carcinojen likes this
- a-is-for-acara reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- woahitstess likes this
- contempgirl reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- chromeoxide likes this
- hpgal3 likes this
- her--again likes this
- geekybombshell reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation and added:
- thespookychik likes this
- whattheworldisreallylike reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- whattheworldisreallylike likes this
- bellalunabeausoleil reblogged this from march-tember-one-teenth and added:
- celiawithkent reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- rin-is-albicant likes this
- edinburghsexpression reblogged this from hellyeahscarleteen
- lovesescapism likes this
- wehavedonetheimpossible reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- hawkeyepancakes likes this
- madamedevideoland likes this
- breastfeeding-milhouse likes this
- damara-fucking-megido reblogged this from shegufta
- mecchakawaiicherushi reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- carmenlovesgod reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- rmendez27 likes this
- shegufta reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- copious-cuddles likes this
- sailortentacle likes this
- rainbowsovermytwistedheart reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- knowyourjunk reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- finnandyouknowit likes this
- forceofaragingriver likes this
- zombiepanda-rawr likes this
- mademoiselleamericaine reblogged this from march-tember-one-teenth
- wolfbearsnake reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- whyareyouwearingasuitsir likes this