If you have any questions, feel free to ask on my ask site: http://fyseq.tumblr.com/ask, though check out http://fuckyeahsexeducation.tumblr.com/FAQ!
i’m glad you asked this question. I could only watch about 10 minutes of it before I was so disgusted I had to turn it off.
It was just a play on the same old sad stereotypes of ‘fat is unhealthy’, ‘fat is lazy’ ‘fat is disgusting’ etc. etc. etc. And it’s disappointing because South Park usually has really good commentary on popular culture.
You know what, I APPLAUD Honey Boo Boo and her family. They’re not your typical ‘attractive’ family, but they obviously love each other and they’re happy. That counts for a lot more than their education level or their weight.
- The obesity epidemic is a lie. Obesity rates have stayed the same, and in some places even dropped, since 2000.
- ‘Obesity’ is judged by BMI, which is an invalid measure of health. Even the creator of BMI himself never wanted it to be used as a measure of health.
- In 1998, the guidelines for BMI were changed. Millions of people went to bed one night being ‘normal’, and woke up ‘overweight’ according to the new standards. So all the reports you hear of, about how people are getting fatter and fatter, is actually the definition of what ‘fat’ is changing.
Fat people have no shame? Fat people have no shame? Has anyone who created that episode EVER spoken to a fat person? ANY fat person, any chubby person, hell, the majority of ‘average’ people have been ‘shamed’ for being too fat. They’ve been told over and over that they’re lazy, ugly, no one will ever love them, they’ll never get a good job, they don’t deserve nice clothes, I could go on forever.
Fat people don’t ask for special treatment, as this episode depicts. Fat people ask for equal treatment. To have the ability to do the same things normal people do. Like being comfortable in a movie theatre, or to be able to go on an airplane without paying double. Or even more importantly, having GOOD and complete healthcare that doesn’t consist of ‘just lose weight and all your health problems will go away.’ That’s not having no shame.
There is a problem in this country, I’m not denying that. People aren’t eating well enough. People aren’t exercising enough. But you know what, that goes for thin people too. There are millions of thin people who eat junk, are sedentary, and end up with the same diabetes, hypertension, heart problems, etc. that the medical community likes to pretend only fat people can get. (Fun fact, 75% of obese people never get diabetes.)
The problem is not fat. The problem is lack of access to healthy food and exercise. THAT’S what needs to be fixed. And not by programs like Let’s Move!, which was funded by a 13.6% cut to the SNAP (food stamp) program, which means that low-income families, which are already proven to be more likely to be obese, are even less able to afford healthful food.
It’s a much, much bigger problem than the size of someone’s jeans. Regardless of someone’s size or health, NO ONE should be shamed like that. Not your body? Not your business. I’m really, really disappointed that South Park couldn’t do better.
- musicismycolorbitch likes this
- wily-caryatid reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- wily-caryatid likes this
- twinkletok likes this
- bloodevolution reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- inquinate reblogged this from stophatingyourbody
- figureitoutontheway reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- yourthinbody likes this
- yourbigsuccess likes this
- thats-a-hot-new-york-city-crowd likes this
- blackjacklolita reblogged this from portlybibliophile
- portlybibliophile reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation and added:
- feralprancinghomosexual reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- voupraestrada likes this
- rosettachan reblogged this from mexi-doodler
- macaroni-overlord reblogged this from ashleyamazon
- felinefingers reblogged this from pussyqueer
- felinefingers likes this
- pussyqueer reblogged this from thebodyloveblog
- starlight-madness reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- katiewiththebooty reblogged this from stophatingyourbody
- katiewiththebooty likes this
- growing-guts likes this
- doctorcapxldi reblogged this from chazzam
- lillith888 reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- melsshortformelody reblogged this from tsundeanre
- your-little-bonsai-tree reblogged this from tsundeanre
- tsundeanre reblogged this from stophatingyourbody
- omopon likes this
- hereforunique likes this
- iambothdarknessandlight reblogged this from just-another-nerdygirl
- theravens-sentme likes this
- justletmeperfectit reblogged this from just-another-nerdygirl
- littlesoulsister likes this
- sonicscrewjong reblogged this from just-another-nerdygirl
- sonicscrewjong likes this
- just-another-nerdygirl reblogged this from stophatingyourbody and added:
- suivre-le-vent reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- rohschliff likes this
- lilyseven likes this
- singyoursight likes this
- thehumansymphony reblogged this from chazzam
- trappedbetweenthenightmares likes this
- youaremypatronus likes this
- loveyourselfcreateyourself reblogged this from sprightlystiles
- loveyourselfcreateyourself likes this
- that-guy-james reblogged this from chazzam